The International Institute of Rural Reconstruction (IIRR) has over 90 years of history in participatory, integrated, and people-centered development. The Institute has enhanced the capacity and confidence of over 100,000 development practitioners and community leaders throughout Africa, Asia, and Latin America and is recognized for documenting and disseminating field-based experience through its innovative Writeshop methodology. We envision a world of equity, justice, and peace where people achieve their full potential and live a life of quality and dignity in harmony with the environment.
African Regional Director Position
The African Regional Director is responsible for providing overall leadership and supervision in the planning and implementation of the Institute’s strategy and its rural development programs and operations in Africa. The primary functions include but are not limited to resource generation, mobilization, and development initiatives to support program and management goals, and program and Human Resources management and growth. The African Regional Director will be based in Nairobi, Kenya but will provide leadership and oversight for a staff of professionals located throughout Kenya, Uganda, Ethiopia, and Sudan, (along with 2 new countries over the next 5 years). The Director reports directly to the President and is a senior member of the Institute’s Global Management Team.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
1. Provide strategic direction and leadership for the regional programs.
2. Lead in the formulation of strategies, mid- and short-terms plans and budgets and ensure their smooth implementation.
3. Participate and coordinate resource generation efforts including generation of proposals with the President, Country Director/Program Managers, and the Regional Programs Director to ensure secure and adequate funding for programs and operations.
4. Develop and maintain strategic partnerships/linkages with donors, government agencies, partner organizations and necessary stakeholders.
5. Actively participate in Applied Learning and capacity development including travel for international and customized trainings, documentation and other technical assignments.
6. Provide leadership and supervise a team of professionals with diverse expertise and responsibilities across the region.
7. Ensure that systems (Finance, Human Resources, Internal Controls, Communication, Reporting, etc) across the region are functioning efficiently and effectively.
8. Represent IIRR in all relevant forums including with government agencies, bilateral and multilateral organizations and others in the region.
9. Play an active role in the Global Management Team and contribute to the development of IIRR global strategy and programs.
- Masters or PHD in nonprofit or NGO management, international development, economics, social sciences or other related field.
- At least ten (10) years of relevant experience in program development and management and proven experience in fund raising and resource mobilization.
- Practical experience in planning, facilitation, and leading training and capacity building sessions at institutional and community levels.
- Evidence of a strong network with donor agencies and the development community in the region.
- Strong visionary leadership, team building, and people management skills.
Kindly submit your cover letter and detailed CV indicating your expected remuneration and contact information for 3 work-related references to the undersigned by 18th March 2011:
The Regional Human Resources Manager
IIRR Africa Regional Center, Nairobi, Kenya
**IIRR is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes all qualified applicants**